A single plant grow box is a small box that is compact in size and can complete the entire growing process from seedling to harvest. The plants in a single plant grow box can be grown using soil or hydroponically, depending on the preference of the user.
However, the grow box should provide self-contained environment for growing plants. It should be completely enclosed with the light and ventilation systems installed. Grow Box particularly the Single Plant box would allow urban garden lovers to grow plants indoor where ground based growing in soil is constrained. There are several varieties of pre-made grow boxes available in the market. You can buy any of them or create your own single plant simple grow box at home utilizing your some basic skills and few items readily available at home.
Single Plant Grow Box Plans
To make a grow box with a single plant you will need to do some homework before you start to build. This means, firstly decide on what size box to use to make your single plant grow chamber, what kind of grow lights to use, how to provide ventilation facility in the Single Plant Grow Box and many more things.
- Size and Type of Grow Box – The basic thing to consider is the size and type of the box. The material of the box should be sturdy enough to hold the electrical fittings and should be waterproof, if you plan hydroponics. Many people prefer using a discarded PC, non functional Refrigerator, not in use closet or even strong cardboard box lined with foil and moisture proofing.
- Grow Lights – You will a wide variety of lighting system that can be used in a single plant grow box. You can use a full string of light bulbs, incandescent bulbs, Halogen bulbs, or the latest LED grow lights. Incandescent bulbs and LED utilizes lower wattage but LEDs are costlier than other grow lights. Select the grow light depending on the type of plant you wish to grow.
- Air Circulation – To offer proper ventilating system in your grow box, it is important to keep the air circulating all within the box. Various types of fans are offered in the market which can be used in the grow box. Computers have a fan included as one of its part, it can be easily used in the grow box to work as a perfect substitute for air movement.
- Insulation – It is important to maintain the heat generated by the grow light within the Single Plant Grow Box. For offering the most needed insulating system you can use plastic foam, cut them as per the interior of the box and tape or glue them completely except floor of the box.
- Carbon filter – Filters with activated carbon must be installed in the grow box. Carbon filter effectively contains odor from the grow box and keeps the environment clean.
- Noise – When you are building your single plant grow box you should install whisper quiet internal circulation fans. Generally, the noise from the grow box is of the fan so using old pc for fan or while buying a fan just ensure it is able to work silently.
Apart from the above points to be noted under Single Plant Grow Box Plans, you should design a layout plan and also make a list of the needed components and other accessories so that everything is handy when you actually sit to create your Single Plant Grow Box.
How To Build a Simple One Plant Grow Box
After you have decided on the Single Plant Grow Box plan and layout now, it is the time to put your plan in action. Consider the below things needed to Build a Simple One Plant Grow Box
- Old Not in use PC case
- Hot glue gun
- Glue sticks
- Car windshield
- Sliver Sun reflector
- Power strip
- 4 compact fluorescent lights
- 4 socket adaptors
- 2 PC fans
- Remote control
- Extension cord
- Small thermometer
- Small plastic tub with lid that can fit inside PC
- Utility Knife
- 2-inch hole saw
- 4 empty yogurt cups About 2 inches in diameter
- Duct tape
- Perlite growing medium
- Single disc pond fogger
Steps to build a Simple Single Plant Grow Box – Design/Instructions
- Remove all the screws, shelves and other hardware material except the fan and the internal wiring from the Old PC. Also, remove both the largest sides of the PC case.
- Use metal cutter and fit the fans into one of the short sides of the PC case. Place both fans on the same side of the case, inset one on the top and other on the bottom. Place in one fan to blow air inside and other to blow air outside the box.
- Cut the silver sun reflector to cover the interior of the PC except the floor. Use the glue gun and glue sticks to attach it entirely within the PC case, leaving just the fans.
- The power strip should also be glue to the top of the PC. Plug in socket adaptors and attach in compact fluorescent light bulbs. This makes your PC One Plant Grow Box ready.
- Now to make a hydroponic system, remove the lid from the plastic storage box and then using the drill make four 2-inch holes with the saw. You can also make holes with a utility knife if you don’t have a drill.
- Yogurt cups should be thoroughly cleaned and washed. Check if they are perfectly and closely fitting inside the holes on the lid.
- Cut make a ¼ inch lines around the outside and across the bottom of the yogurt container using the utility knife. This will allow the water enter the cups in the growing medium for the plants to grow
- Use the duct tape to cover the exterior of the grow box just leaving small vertical portion to check and monitor the nutrient rich water levels in the container.
- Use perlite to fill the yogurt cups just ¾ full and then water these perlite cups. Drain and remove water for nearly five times or until the water is clear.
- With the help of a utility knife cut one hole in the corner of the lid. Insert the power line for the pond fogger through this hole and place the fogger in the tub. Fill the tub with water until the fogger is covered by at least ½ inch of water.
- Replace the lid and plug in the fogger for you to start operating your single plant grow box.
- Insert this hydroponics system inside the grow box and attach a thermometer to the inside wall that makes this grow box a ready to use machine.